19 Jun Detoxification for Life
What is detoxification?
Detoxification is the process of removing toxins or toxic buildup from the body. Our bodies benefit from detoxification when we become overloaded with heavy metals, free radicals, unbalanced gut bacteria, parasites, or candida overgrowth.
How do we become toxic?
Toxicity can build up from the foods we eat, including pesticides and herbicides residues on food, processed foods, sugar, water we drink, the environment we live and the air we breath, chemicals we use in our homes, drugs and alcohol, stress and negative emotions, and unhealthy relationships we have in our lives. Most likely if you’re living in the world, eating a Standard American Diet, working and living a fast paced life, breathing the air, drinking tap water, you could probably benefit from a detoxification plan.
How do you know if you’re toxic?
Many people are walking around with symptoms that “seem normal,” and have adjusted to their symptoms because they believe that is a part of aging. The truth is, we are not meant to feel exhausted all the time and get sick as we age. Toxins in the environment in addition to emotions and thoughts, can build up to toxic levels in our bodies to create illness and we must become conscious of this.
Here’s an exercise to illustrate the point:
- Get a pen. Now hold the pen tightly in your hand.
- The pen represents your toxins, and the hand is your awareness.
- Notice that although gripping the pen is uncomfortable, after a little time it begins to feel familiar or “normal.” Are you feeling that yet?
- In this same way, your awareness holds on tightly to the toxins, feeling tired and low energy and eventually you get used to holding on and you don’t even realize your doing it. It just becomes a part of you.
- Now open your hand and roll the pen around on your palm. Notice that the pen and your hand are not attached to each other.
- The same is true for the toxins that are weighing you down. Your toxins and illness are no more attached to you than the pen is attached to your hand.
- Now turn your hand over and let the pen go.
- What happened? The pen dropped to the floor.
- Was it hard? No, you simply stopped holding on and took control, of your health.
- That is what it means to take control of your health. You make a choice to let go of the toxins and realize that your health is in YOUR hands.
You may need to begin a detoxification program if you experience the any of the following signs:
- Foggy mind
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Mood swings
- Sinus congestion
- Excess mucous
- Frequent colds
- Immune system problems
- Sore throat
- Chemical sensitivity
- Sleep problems
- Prevent and reverse illness
- Weight loss
- Give digestion a rest
- Clear skin
- Emotional balance
- Improve sleep
- Improve mental clarity
- Increased energy
- Slows the aging process
- Restore balance in the body
What to expect during detoxification:
- Mood swings
- Digestive problems
- Sleep disturbances
- Cold or flu like symptoms
These symptoms are all a natural part of the detoxification process. As your body releases toxins, your body can go into what is called a “healing crisis” or Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction. This is where your body might feel worse before it feels better and you may experience some of these symptoms. Just know that it is temporary and as you’re going through this healing response, your body is releasing toxins. Drinking lots of water and sweating it out using the tips listed below, will help rid your body of the toxins faster. The body releases toxins from different channels in the body including respiratory, urinary tract, bowels, and through the skin, so it’s important to incorporate different cleansing tools for each system.
- Elimination Diet: You can determine food allergies and sensitivities, usually eliminates most common food allergens such as gluten, corn, shellfish, nightshades, soy, citrus, dairy, most animal protein, and nuts.
- Cleansing diets which include mostly raw and plant-based foods
- Fasting with water, fruit and vegetable juices or broth
Each type of detox will depend on your current level of health and your detoxification goals. In any case, a good detox plan will consist of removing processed foods, sugars and sweeteners, dairy, animal protein, caffeine and alcohol.
The lymphatic system is a one-way drainage system that transports white blood cells used to fight infection called lymph fluid from the body tissues into the blood circulation. It helps the body get rid of toxins and waste. There are 600-700 lymph nodes in the body, the spleen being the largest lymphatic organ- http://www.livescience.com/26983-lymphatic-system.html. If you don’t maintain your lymph system, it can become overloaded with toxins. The tonsils are also a part of the lymphatic system, and are responsible for creating antibodies and lymphocytes and serving as a filter. The thymus gland is a part of the lymphatic system and the endocrine system which is located in the middle of the chest above the heart. This organ is typically biggest at birth, and begins to shrink thereafter turning into fatty tissue as we age and becomes dormant. It assists in producing antibodies and assists in controlling the immune system.
Cleansing the Lymph
- Deep breathing can help stimulate the flow of lymph, release the toxins through the respiratory tract, as well as assist in relieving anxiety and depression
- Take 10 deep breaths 3x day, inhale for the count of 4, hold for 8, exhale for 4
- Jumping on a small trampoline for 10-15 minutes per day can stimulate the flow of lymph
- Drink plenty of water
- Filtered water will help keep your lymph flowing. Drink ½ your body weight in ounces, ex: if you weigh 140 lbs, drink 70 oz per day.
- Dry brushing
- Dry brush your skin will increase the flow of lymph. Brush in circular strokes starting at your feet, working all your body parts and brush toward your heart.
- Thump the thymus
- By thumping the thymus regularly, you can begin to activate it again
According to Norman Walker, who wrote the book “Colon Health,” health begins in the colon and by eating a diet full of fried and processed foods, excess sugar and salts, our colons become a breeding ground for disease. It is important to care for your colon health and understand that healthy bowels, mean a healthy you. It can be an embarrassing topic, but paying attention to your bowel movements is an important part of staying healthy. A healthy person should be excreting 3-4 bowel movements per day, and if that is not the case, you’re probably constipated which can lead to a whole slew of health concerns.
Cleansing the Colon
- Eat foods high in fiber such as apples, legumes, and flax and chia seeds
- Drink apple cider vinegar: dilute 1 TBSP with 8 oz of water.
- Eat cultured foods like sauerkraut, kimchee, rejuvelac, or keifer
- Get regular colonics which is a process used to internally and gently flush the colon by a trained hydrotherapist. This process helps to loosen and eliminate toxic waste buildup
- Consider taking a magnesium supplement for assistance cleansing your colon which helps to break down fecal matter
- Incorporate at home enemas into your routine
Detox the Liver
The liver is the largest internal organ that is responsible for breaking down and detoxifying substances in the body. The liver creates cholesterol and triglycerides. It works to make carbohydrates, and turns glucose into glycogen that is stored in the liver and muscle cells. The liver also produces bile that assists with the digestion of food. It works to help detoxify the body by converting ammonia (a compound created through the process of metabolism) into urea, which is expelled in the urine by the kidneys. The liver works hard to break down medications, drugs, alcohol, as well as insulin and other hormones in the body. It is also responsible for storing vitamins such as B12, folate, iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Vitamin K. http://www.medicinenet.com/liver_anatomy_and_function/article.htm.
As you can see the liver has many functions and a tired liver can create fatigue and many other ailments if it is not cared for and detoxed regularly.
Cleaning the Liver
Eat foods such as dandelion greens, milk thistle, carrot juice, garlic, apples.
- Incorporate the use of coffee enemas that helps with the production of glutathione, the “master antioxidant” that our bodies produce and increase bile flow.
- Wake up with lemon water. Adding lemon to your water can increase the bile flow of the liver to support digestion and breaks down fat.
Some other things you can do for all over cellular detoxification:
Liquid bentonite clay is one of my favorite products. It is made of volcanic ash and has a strong negative electromagnetic charge. When we drink the clay it works like a magnet to pull the heavy metals and other toxins out of the body. Your body does not absorb the clay, but as it moves through your body, the clay bind to toxins and pulls them out to be excreted. My favorite brand is
Yerba Prima Bentonite, Detox Pint, 16 Ounce
Spirulina and chlorella is another favorite of mine when I am going through a cleanse and in my daily routine. They are both considered superfoods and can be a wonderful addition to your detox and life. Chlorella is a single celled microalgae and spirulina is a multi-celled microalgae. They are both known to bind to harmful toxins in your body such as pesticides, heavy metals, molds, chemicals and other toxins in your body. They have been studied to assist in the process of oxygenation, purifying blood, supports blood pressure, boost your immune system, supports weight loss, supports cellular repair and growth, balancing your body’s pH, and energizing your cells. Spirulina has a higher ratio of protein and iron, as well as all eight essential amino acids, potassium, zinc, calcium, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B-12. Spirulina also has a higher ratio of beta-carotene, while chlorella has a greater level of chlorophyll (due to its dark green color).
One of my favorite greens blend is this chlorella and spirulina mix Organic Chlorella Spirulina Powder 225g -75 Servings- With Chlorella/Spirulina Growth Factor -No Other Ingredients Added- 100% USDA Certified Organic – Product of Taiwan – Cleanest Product Available
How toxic are you? Take this assessment and find out!
Want to read more? Here are my favorite resources!
Please talk to your health care professional before taking on a cleansing or detoxification program. We have some amazing coaches here to help you be successful with your program and feel great again!
Please let us know your thoughts! Comment below. We want to hear from you!
If you’re interested in more about what we do. Consider signing up for our newsletter to receive instant access to our wellness wheel assessment, 8 week health challenge, recipes delivered to your inbox and much much more!
If you’re interested in coaching and having some support around these lifestyle changes, we’d love to work with you. Receive a FREE Consultation and let us match you with one of the amazing health coaches we have standing by to work with you!